Frank Pelin Snowbird Catamaran
About this listing
Make: Frank Pelin
Model: Snowbird Catamaran
Length: 13.0 metres / 42.7 feet
Listed: 5 May 2021
Very fast thirteen metre GOP Frank Pelin designed Catamaran “Embrace Life”. Has hit twenty five knots under sail. Two queen size and two single berths, plus two in the saloon. Fridge, freezer, gas stove and oven with extractor fan. One electric and five two speed winches. Extensive upgrade to enable circumnavigation of NZ includes new sail bag and lazy straps, new boat nets, new SS rails and pulpits with double side gates, new calliphont, two new bilge pumps, new bigger house water pump. New Genoa and Gib forestay. Four metre RIB only two years old with fifteen HP Mercury outboard and galvanized trailer. Many other features too. Mooring available in beautiful Stillwater Auckland. This boat has been my home for eighteen months and is a great buy for a family wanting to live on whilst saving for home. Reluctant sale due to health conditions.
* Embrace Life has not been extensively used but I have some wonderful memories of when we did get away.
* The main sail is a Tom Tasker (Thailand) with two reefing points, very easy to do, the excess sitting in the lazy-jacksail cover, which is new. The sail has had very little use.
* The furling headsail (genoa) is average, the furling cutter the same.
* There is an asymmetrical gennaker made by Evolution Sails hoisted about three times.
* The original multi-colored spinnaker is in good condition and has had very little use.
* There are two mast winches, the main a self tailing type.
* The front anchor is a Delta style and the windlass a Maxwell. There are two spare danforth anchors, one with a chain used as stern anchor or 2nd front anchor.
* The center boards are hand lowered and raised with pins to hold them up.
* There are two cabin top self tailing winches. There are two manual dual speed winches in the cockpit and one one electric winch (mainly for the furling sails)
* The mainsail is easy to release, on a full width traveler.
* The motor is 1000cc turbo charged Daihatsu, coupled to a twin hydraulic pump.
* Engine and cooling system is by a Jabsco pump to a tubed cooler and a rubber silencer.
* 12 volt charging is by 60 Amp Bosch alternator. Alarm - meters fitted to oil and water. RPM meter and hour counter.
* Drives are fitted to slides and raised and lowered by an electric drill or manually by a winch handle.
* Full ahead to full astern is instant,on either drive, also turns on its own length.
* It is very easy to beach, as can be reversed onto sand whilst looking at sand for obstructions and propellers can be working above the keels until pods are beached. This is a great asset for unloading passengers.
* Electric supplies are by four large Deep Cycle lead acid batteries (new in 2020) a 2.4 Victron Energy, sine wave inverter/smart charger, certified shore power connection, 60 amp engine driven alternator, a petrol driven alternator/charger with its own new starting battery and remote start. There is a separate main motor starter battery with emergency paralleling to the main battery bank. There are two 160 watt solar panels on the cabin top installed this year by AA solar and upgraded to the most efficient solar monitoring system available. Most lighting is LED, or can be easily converted.
* There are 2 large double bunks with new mattresses, and two large single berths. Saloon seating can also be used for berths with back rests removed.
* There are two galvanized LPG bottles fitted in a self draining locker. A new califont (self draining locker) supplies hot water to the inside bathroom/toilet and cockpit shower.
* The LPG cooker has two top rings, a grill, and a separate oven.There is a twin sink, microwave, separate 12 V freezer, and an under-bench size 12v fridge.
* There are two plastic 80 Ltr diesel tanks.
* There are three plastic water tanks, each can be used separately. Approximate sizes are 180 Ltr, and two 350 ltr. A new self priming Jabsco 18 Ltr minute pump installed Jan 2020 supplies bathroom, galley and cockpit.
* There is a Sony palmtop computer and separate monitor, loaded with Seaclear chart plotter. There are two compasses.
* Steering is hydraulic and has a Raymarine wheel autopilot system.
* Two electric bilge pumps, one 3000 gallons per hour, engine room, One 750 ph port hull and one hand "Whale bilge pump".
* There are two mounted fire extinguishers.
* VHF radio and entertainment radio/player with cockpit speakers.
* Four meter Aqua master RIB with oars center cockpit and steering wheel with fifteen hp Mercury outboard only two years old, comes with fold up anchors and galvanized trailer. Two dinghy pumps.
* A soft bottom rubber dinghy with oars and a 2hp Yamaha outboard, can be towed or pulled aboard up front.
* Small table for saloon and larger table with adjustable legs for use inside or outside and Two chairs.
* LPG gas handrail-mounted stainless steel barbecue.
* 55lb thrust electric outboard, fitted to sternbeam. Good for berthing, fishing and when conditions make tacking difficult.
* Electrical/San sterilization toilet flushing system.
* Spare rudder, fuel filter, raw water impeller, electric fuel pump, fuses and various spares.
* Two dinghy pumps, craypots, setline, snapper net, flounder net with anchors and floats, scallop dredge and new burly holder.
* Spotlight, two 20 Ltr diesel tanks, 20-10-5 Ltr petrol tanks. 8 adult and children's life vests and jackets. Bosuns chair, spare high strength halyards, mooring lines plus stern and bow bridle mooring / tow lines, heavy cleats on stern for towing RIB with 2nd fixed safety line.
* Large quantity of pillows, blankets, sheets and tea towels. Fully equipped galley.
* Manuals for Diesel engine,chart plotter furlers and more.
* Hauling beams and fittings go with the boat and kept at Stillwater Boat Club.
* The boat has had extensive overhaul in the last twelve months with complete repaint.
* Wire railing replaced with nine hundred mm high four-rail stainless rails with "Barn" gates and wooden pulpit seat; this upgrade made it a lot safer to tend anchoring from old system with no safety railing between hulls
* New boat nets that make ideal sleeping mats during summer nights under the stars.
* $3400 spent on new front stay and replacement halyards.
* Registered mooring is available in the Weiti River five hundred metres from the Stillwater boat club. This boat is ideal liveaboard for family needing a home.
Sail number 7464.
Boat type: Multi-Hull
Year built (hull): late 1990s, by a Tauranga professional yard.
Class/Design: built to scaled up plans of a 32 ft Snowbird.
Designer: Frank Pelin.
Length overall 13.00 meters
Draught 0.50 meters
Weight,approximately five tonne with water and diesel.
Rig type Sloop.Rig Masthead
Colour of deck: White/Blue.
Colour of bottom: Blue.
Colour of topsides: White.
Hull construction material: GOP-Glass over Plywood.
Mast construction: Alloy
Engine/outboard make: Daihatsu Diesel.50 HP,hydraulic twin drive.
The drives, center boards and rudders are fully retractable.
Very strong non-slip duckboard.